Assignment: Application: The Pathophysiology of Disorders In previous weeks, you explored various body systems: cardiovascular, respiratory, nervous, endocrine, musculoskeletal, gastrointestinal, and hematological. These seven systems work together, along with other body systems, to complete a myriad of functions. For this reason, when disorders occur within one body system, they can create potentially devastating effects throughout the entire body. For instance, Parkinson’s disease is a disorder of the central nervous system, yet its alterations actually affect multiple body systems, from the cardiovascular system to the gastrointestinal system. In this Assignment, you examine alterations associated with disorders, as well as the impact of the alterations on multiple body systems.
- From the list below, select a disorder of interest to you:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Asthma in children
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Congestive heart failure
- Hepatic disease (liver disease)
- Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
- Reflect on alterations associated with the disorder you selected. Consider the pathophysiology of the alterations. Think about how these alterations produce pathophysiological changes in at least two body systems.
- Think about the types of drugs that would be used to treat alterations associated with the disorder you selected.
- Reflect on how patient factors, such as genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, and behavior might impact the pathophysiology of the alterations you identified. Then, consider how these factors might impact the effects of prescribed drugs, as well as measures you might take to help reduce any negative side effects.
- Locate an agency that provides patient education on your selected disorder and review the available materials and curriculum. Consider how you might be able to use those materials to educate a patient on the disorder, treatment options, management, and self-care.
By Day 7Develop a 5- to 10-slide PowerPoint Presentation that addresses the following:;
- Describe the disorder you selected, as well as associated alterations. Explain the pathophysiology of the alterations, including changes that occur in at least two body systems.
- Describe the types of drugs that would be prescribed to treat alterations associated with the disorder.
- Explain how genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, and behavior might impact the pathophysiology of the alterations you identified and the effects of prescribed drugs. Then, describe measures you might take to help reduce any negative side effects.
- Explain how you would use materials from a supporting agency to educate patients on the disorder, treatment options, management, and self-care.